Thursday, February 07, 2008

Busy, Busy

It began last Thursday. We had a wedding reception to attend. Brandon's cousin Ben got married and we went. It was snowy that night and Brandon and Alan didn't have to work on Friday so we had a sleepover with Alan and Katie. Friday morning I did a Costco run with Alan to get a couple things for Jonah's party. Then I went and filled our gas tank up, got a couple things at the craft store, and went to the bank. After some lunch we headed home. Jonah and I had to head straight from home to his one year check up at the Pediatrician. He is average weight, large head, and is very short for his age. He is in good health, has had several diet restrictions lifted now that he's one and got three shots. After the doctor I had to do a major grocery run. Right after that I had girl's movie night in at Adina's, my next-door neighbor. We watched The Wedding Date. Although I was entertained, I certainly would NOT recommend it.
Saturday I baked a cake, made frosting, made sauce for meatballs, and cooked chicken that required basting and turning every five minutes for 45 minutes. I cleaned the house, took care of Jonah, got myself ready, etc. before entertaining 13 people at our house.
Sunday, fortunately was a nice, lazy day. It was snowing too much to go to church and other than keep Jonah happy, sweep, and do dishes, I managed to be pretty lazy all day.
Monday: tired, no recollection of anything important.
Tuesday: Jonah's first real haircut. Not willing to attempt cutting it myself on the day of his one year pictures I had my neighbor, Bobbi Jo, with an in-home salon cut it. She was amazingly patient with an extremely wiggly child. He looks quite handsome.
While eating cake leftovers together in the afternoon, Brandon said to me, "This is the best cake I've ever had. I will never again be convinced that cake from a mix is just as good. Cake mixes must be the reason why people used to love cake but don't really like it anymore." That was the most enthusiastic review I can recall ever having about my baking. I wish I'd made that cake a day before Jonah's party cause I swear it was twice as good as leftovers.
After Jo's afteroon nap we drove to Salt Lake for his photo session. Linda met us there to assist and to bring him another outfit to wear. She and Alan gave us money for Christmas to go to the best photo studio in Salt Lake to have his one-year portrait done. He did three different poses, settings, and outfits and was very cooperative. The photographer and assistant were great and Jonah was cracking them up, especially with his new "oh" face. I'm sure we got some fantastic shots.
On the way home I picked up some chicken tikka masala and some aloo gobi from the Bombay House for dinner. I haven't had Indian food since we moved to Utah and it was good (though Ajanta in OKC is still better). Jonah took an uncharacteristic cat nap on the way home.
Let Jonah cry it out when he woke up at his usual 4:30 am snacktime.
Wednesday: made the mistake of waiting until the day of to get a babysitter for that evening. I called the three babysitters I know, two had church activities and the other one was also unavailable. Called two other women for babysitter recommendations. The three girls they recommended were all also busy (drill practice, etc.). Called three adults I know that I thought might do it, none of them were available. Called the first girl back to ask her for a recommendation and she said she'd decided not to go to her church activity afterall and her mom wasn't making her. Hallejulia!
Drove to SLC with Brandon and met up with Andy, Brandon M., Alan, Linda, and Katie at Bangkok Thai for some excellent dinner. Then went to Hale Theatre to see Lend Me a Tenor, a very funny musical that got better and better as it went along. Brandon's cousin Margo had a very fun part in it.
Jonah slept thru the night but woke up at 6:15.
Today I haven't accomplished much other than going to the post office and picking up some milk. Brandon didn't have to work in Salt Lake today because they didn't schedule him anything since it's snowing so much. We are bowing out on Katie's violin concert tonight to stay home.
Although I didn't vote for him I was sad to see Mitt Romney step out of the presidential race today. I fear what our choices may be next fall.


Lauren said...

I'm sad about Mitt Romney too :(

That was one insanely busy week! So, I was thinking about this cake...any way to get the recipe?

My friend's stepdad owns Hale Theater. I feel special haha.

Robin said...

I also was hoping you would send me the cake recipe.

michelle said...

I got a little dizzy spell readig about your busy day! Thai food sounds soooo good right now, we've been living off cereal and hot dogs all week. It seems longer than that really!

Nancy Face said...

I was also entertained by The Wedding Date...but I wouldn't watch it twice!

Your busy week makes my head spin! Good for you, being persistent until you found a babysitter! If Lauren gets that cake recipe, I can swipe it from her, tee hee! ;)

I'm also sad about Mitt Romney. :(