Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sweet Pork & Cilantro Lime Rice

It seems everyone has their own version of Costa Vida/Cafe Rio sweet pork recipes. They all involve cola. I've tried two versions that were rather different. The pork recipe is basically the one I got from Lauren, which I liked better just because it was simple, but tasted very similar to the other one I tried. The sauce I like best I got from my Uncle Bart who got it off of someone's blog whose husband's name is Jared. That is all I know. She invented it herself combining several recipes after several attempts at the perfect Cafe Rio sweet pork. She claims hers is even better. It's definitely really good. I didn't like the other one I tried nearly as well (it had ketchup and honey).

3 lb. Pork shoulder roast (pork loin is too lean)
1/2 - 1 can Coke (not diet)
2 cloves or 1 tsp. Garlic
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne
3 T. Hot Sauce (El Pato, Cholula, whatever)

Cook in crock pot on low for 6-7 hours.
Drain.
Shred.

In a food processor or blender combine:
1 12 oz. can of Coke (or a little less)
1 can roasted Green Chilies
3/4 small can of Red Enchilada Sauce
1 c. Brown Sugar

Pour over shredded pork. Warm. Enjoy!

When making the pork into a burrito, rice bowl, or salad combine with:
Cilantro Lime Rice
Seasoned Black Beans (undrained)
Diced Tomatoes or Pico de Gallo
Sour Cream
(no cheese, just trust me, it's better without, and I never say that)

Cilantro-Lime Rice

1 c. White Rice
1 1/2 c. Chicken Broth
1/2 c. Water
juice from 1/2 of a Lime
1 T. Butter
2 cloves minced Garlic

Boil for one minute. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Combine juice from 1 1/2 limes with 2 T. sugar and about 4 T. diced fresh cilantro and stir that into the rice when it's done.
Yum!

I should have taken a picture, but I didn't, so deal with it.

Also, speaking of food, I made a really fantastic chocolate cake (Angela's birthday) this week that you can find here. Oh, and last week I made a fantabulous carrot cake complete with cream cheese frosting (Linda's birthday), but if you want the recipe I'll have to email it to you cause I'm not about to write anymore.

2 comments:

Skye said...

I'm going to have to print this, thanks!

Sheryl said...

I helped make this very dinner for the stake's youth conference. I've seen enough cilantro rice for a little while, so I think I'll have to wait another week or so before I attempt this version! :) This is one my favorite meals! My version is less sweet - a recipe I got from Saveur (a magazine that I LOVE!!!).