Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tired Mommy

Does anyone use baby powder anymore? Does it help prevent diaper rash?
Jonah sometimes sleeps in his swing (turned off) at night for two hours, just to be upright. During the day if he sleeps in it, he doesn't sleep long and Brandon always switches it off until he starts to stir and then puts in back in swinging mode. What experiences have others had with infants and swings?

This morning I was exhausted. I usually get three- hour stretches of sleep, but last night I never got more than two. I fed Jonah and changed him and then smiled at him. He smiled back at me and continued smiling while I talked to him for the next 5 or 10 minutes. It was wonderful.

Yesterday we had a great day. I drove for the first time in almost three weeks. Jonah and I went to the drug store to pick up a couple things, but mostly just to practice the car seat and to get out of the house. Jonah was well fed before hand and slept thru the entire outing. Then in the afternoon I got an almost 2 hour nap, which was delicious! I had a Big Mac for dinner, which was not delicious (I probably haven't had one in 15 years and I'd forgotten that they are gross). Even though I was craving meat and fast food sounded good, I always feel a little sickly after I eat fast food burgers. I had to scrape the onions and sauce off the burger to make it edible. Watched Heroes and CSI Miami last night, great shows, though the CSI had an ending I found rather disturbing.

Big plans for today? Taking Jonah in the stroller to the apartment mailroom, getting a visit from Lacey, showering.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I use baby powder occasionally when Sophie's bum looks like it's spent the last 3 hours in the swimming pool. It dries it up quite nicely. I think you just have to make sure you sprinkle it close to the baby, so the powder doesn't get into the air and into Jonah's nose.

Sophie, as you probably know, slept in a swing - rocking all night - for the first 3 months of her life. She slept on speed 4 out of 6 for the first 2 months, and then we spent the next 4-6 weeks lowering the speed until it was stopped, and then we transfered her to her crib. It was effortless. I think the swing REALLY helped her to sleep longer. She never startled in it, probably because of the constant movement.

Macey said...

Sorry you are so tired...it will get better, just not immediately. I am still tired sometimes but those smiles and that cute face makes it all so worth it! I am a desitin and butt paste user myself, but try whatever you need til you find what works for you of course! He is so cute.

sjmiller said...

I used balmex on my kids. Very rarely did I use powder... no, I take that back. If you get the cheap diapers from Wal-Mart (I think called Dry bottoms, or something like that) you will need powder to help them not stink. Somehow, I never realized that till someone suggested it, and we were able to handle the cheap diapers after that, as long as there was baby powder in the diaper.

Olivia LOVED her swing! It was a blessing to us, she slept in it for a long time every day. She too was a propped up sleep baby. I kept her in her car seat, and that gave her the sensation of being propped up, but also laying back. People thought it was odd that I put her in her car seat to sleep, but I never had any problems with it till she started to roll over, and get stuck in it.

Heath loved the swing too, but not as much as Olivia.

Annie said...

Baby powder is a definite yes plus it keeps it smelling nice down there.
My infant swing saved my life during the newborn stage (0-6 months)! There's an interesting book out called, "The Happiest Baby on the Block" which explains great soothing treatments and the reasoning behind them. Also, if you are ready for some sleep now, try "Baby Wise". Some women swear by it...I on the otherhand think it a good reference that you can take whatever elements work for you and apply them to form a good schedule for Jonah. Good luck and let me know if you'd like anymore resources.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

i have never had a big mac...but my dad used to go get them at like midnight when he was in his 20's...they don't sound too good