Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Past 10 Days

So here's the rundown. Jonah and I left for Arizona on late afternoon on Wednesday the 20th. We got home yesterday morning. It was a great trip. Even on a trip so long I'd wished I'd had more time (to hang out with Lauren, the Jacobsons, the Millers, the Courts, and to meet baby Jordyn).
Jonah did great on the flight over cause I timed it NOT to coincide with a nap. We spend less than an hour showing off his walking skills and his cuteness to the family before putting him to bed. He did awesome sleeping and napping on the trip, not deterrred from his schedule much at all. My friend Arianna mentioned that we are both "Nap Natzis." We are both followers of the philosophies in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, the best parenting book I've read.
Anyway, Thursday we had a lot of fun, just hanging out with the fam. Jonah got a lot of attention from Nana Colleen, Papa Stan, Aunt Karen
, Aunt Sarah, Uncle Teddy
, Uncle Spencer
, and Aunt Claire .
Thursday Jonah also got to see Aunt Robin, cousin Tucker, cousin Charlotte, and cousin Henry.
Jonah is only six months older than Henry but must outweigh him by quite a bit despite only being about an inch taller. They were very facinated by each other. They spent some time poking and kissing one another.
Jonah loved the dog and two cats that live at my parents house. Darcy, the cocker spaniel, seemed to like him a lot too. It was a great day.
Friday I woke up with Claire's cough and that afternoon Jonah and I got in the car with his Aunt Sarah and her boys; Gabe (14), Chandler (turned 7 on Sunday), and Jackson (5), for a roadtrip to California. My four best girlfriends from college all live in the San Diego area. I haven't seen any of them in 3 years, so Jonah and I went to see them for the weekend while Sarah and her kids went to Disneyland, etc.
We arrived at the Rajaratnam's house at 8:15 (7:15 CA time) that evening and Jonah went straight to bed. I stayed up eating curried chicken homemade by Girrish and talking with Kami. The next day Jonah had fun playing with their son Jared who is only 6 weeks younger than himself
, and her other two boys Noah (3) and Kai (6).
Saturday around noon, Kami and I were joined by our friend Stephanie. We went to lunch and enjoyed some girltime.
Then Jonah, Stephanie, and I drove to Steph's home in Ramona, a darling little town in the hills outside San Diego. We got to hang out with Steph's cute kids; Heath (6), who showed Jonah and I all of his toys, and Olivia (4) who was rather jealous of all the attention Jonah was getting.

Steph's hubbie, Nick, took us all out for Mexican food for dinner. I was feeling rather miserably sick by this time and had no appetite (even for authentic Mexican!). That evening Stephanie and I went to visit our other BYU-H girlfriend, Arianna. We had a funtastic time hanging out and chatting with her!
Sunday morning Jonah and I went over to the Jacobson's house. We had a great time catching up, playing, and chatting for an hour or so before I was rendered unable to stay awake due to my illness.
Jonah and I napped and immediately upon waking had to leave for the train station. We took a fun 2.5 hour train ride up to meet Sarah and kids north of LA. After gassing up and dinner at In and Out Burger we headed back to AZ. Car rides while pregnant are FAR more uncomfortable than not, especially when fighting a nasty cold.
Monday I spent a lot of the day resting and feeling miserable while Jonah charmed the family. Tuesday Jonah came down with a fever and diarehea. He was still sweet as can be. I got a massage and we spent the night at Aunt Robin and Uncle Trent's new house. We had fun hanging with the kids and hot-tubbing with Tucker (under 100 degrees for pregnancy). Wednesday we had a picnic at the park and Jonah really enjoyed the swings. That evening we went to Uncle Adam and Aunt Michelle's house and got to spend some time with Jonah's cousins Kaleb (6), Ethan (5), and Moqui (2). Jonah loved Michelle and Adam!
I had to wipe poor Jo's nose about every 5 minutes all day.
Wednesday night Robin organized a girl's night out for me. My sisters Robin and Karen and SIL Michelle were all there, as well as my cousin Jill and friend Mel. We had a great time talking and laughing. I really enjoyed Gecko Grill's green salsa, fish tacos, and friend icecream. I enjoyed the company even more though.

Friday we missed our flight home due to a wreck on the 202 that caused horrendous traffic but we enjoyed great naps and another nice evening with the family instead.
It is nice to be home in our own beds. We have both been snotting and coughing a lot yesterday and today and I hope that means the end of this dreadful cold is near and not that we are having a relapse from the change in altitude. I came home after the first hour of church today and had a glorious two hour nap.
Jonah has been walking like a champ all day today, he's glad to be back with daddy and all his own stuff and lots of room for walking!


sjmiller said...

So sorry that you were sick on most of your trip. But, it was wonderful to see you and hang out!

Sounds like you had a fun time meeting up with family and friends!!

I think we need to plan a trip to see you guys soon!

Andy J said...

Looks fun. I'm glad you were able to see your family and friends. Sorry you were sick. Hopefully you are getting better now.

Mel said...

What a fun trip!

I too am a firm believer in "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child"!

Megan said...

Sounds like a fun trip! So glad there are other "nap natzis" out there! I get lots of people thinking I'm crazy, but we like our routine & when I say we, I mean me!

Nancy Face said...

I'm so glad you got to do so many fun things! Lauren said she really enjoyed meeting you and Jonah! I only wish you were feeling better during your trip. :(

I liked seeing your pictures! :)

Stephanie said...

i can't believe you were down here for 10 days and i didn't see you! sorry!

Mike and Debbie said...

So fun to see some of the pictures of your trip and your family. There was one picture of Jonah that made me think that he has your mom's eyes. So sorry you had to get sick on your trip but it looks like it didn't slow you down too much.