Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Confession

I stole this book from the public library. Kind of. I returned it today.
Let's go back to this summer, probably late June. I went into the library, like I do most weeks and I checked out a couple books.
I am a library geek. I am on a first name basis with the circulation lady, Lisa. I have been at the library almost weekly for the whole 3 1/2 years I've lived here.
Well, this particular summer day a woman I'd never seen before checked my books out. I asked her if she was new, she said no, she just didn't usually work the circulation desk. Jump ahead two weeks. My books are due and I return some and go to renew the others. This particular book I have not even opened yet. When I go to renew it online I find that it and the two other things I checked out on the same day were never actually checked out. I return the other two and mention that they were never checked out properly and I think I even tell them I still have another out but they can't fix it cause I don't have the book with me.
Well, when I start reading this book I just can't really get into it. I'd read the first four in the series several years ago and so I've forgotten a lot and am having a hard time getting back into it, plus maybe I just wasn't in the mood. On top of that, this book was long winded and used the f-word too much. But I just couldn't return it without finishing it. I knew I had no due date and I just kind of forgot about it. Periodically I would pick it up and read a chapter or two. Recently Brandon figured out that I'd had it for several months and asked how and then told me just to return it if I wasn't enjoying it. But I DO like it I insisted. Finally, last week I plodded thru the final few chapters and really enjoyed myself. I'd skimmed a few of the later chapters just to get going again after a couple month break.
Anyway, I returned the book I "borrowed." I think I had it checked out (or not) for 7 months. I am a bad person, but it took me that long to read it. I am making a public confession, for all it's worth, and it's sad, but I really don't feel that bad about it. The library system has several copies of the book and I had the big awkward hardback. I know I should feel bad, but hey, at least I returned it.
The End.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I say it was a favor in your error! You probably could've stolen it free and clear, so good for you on taking it back, even if it did take a little longer than normal.

Tori :) said...

For give me Emily, I have sinned... Once I had a friend who worked at a video store. So, she would check things out for me and I'd keep them as long as I wanted too. Well, I had a Super Nintendo and games for over a year, and I think I still have the old Molly Ringwald movie "For Keeps." My friend doesn't work at the video store anymore...

Busy Bee Lauren said...

You know what...I wish we all could keep books that long. I go to the library, pick out a book a want and then get caught up in homework and stuff so the 3 weeks just aren't long enough for me. I say way to go! Wow, this sparked a blog idea for me! Yay!

Macey said...

I wish I read more...I am trying to finish a book by John Grisham that Jill gave me more than a year ago!